Re: [Pce] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-pce-gmpls-pcep-extensions-14: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> Sat, 29 June 2019 00:51 UTC

Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2019 19:51:25 -0500
From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: julien.meuric@orange.com
Cc: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, 'The IESG' <iesg@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-pce-gmpls-pcep-extensions@ietf.org, pce-chairs@ietf.org, pce@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Pce] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-pce-gmpls-pcep-extensions-14: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hi Julien,

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 03:26:33PM +0200, julien.meuric@orange.com wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> Apologies for the late response.

I probably wouldn't have been able to reply much before now anyway -- I've
been quite busy (and have some other documents' authors waiting for
feedback as well).

> Let us focus on your first DISCUSS comment which is the main one. You
> raised a legitimate point that we acknowledge. After discussion, we
> propose to modify the end of section 2.4 as follows:
>
> OLD
>
>    The semantic of the LOAD-BALANCING object is not changed.  If a PCC
>    requests the computation of a set of TE-LSPs so that the total of
>    their generalized bandwidth is X, the maximum number of TE-LSPs is N,
>    and each TE-LSP must at least have a bandwidth of B, it inserts a
>    BANDWIDTH object specifying X as the required bandwidth and a LOAD-
>    BALANCING object with the Max-LSP and Min Bandwidth Spec fields set
>    to N and B, respectively.
>
> NEW
>
>    The semantic of the LOAD-BALANCING object is not changed.  When the
>    bandwidth can be expressed as scalars (e.g., for circuit-switched
>    technologies), if a PCC requests the computation of a set of TE-LSPs
>    so that the total of their generalized bandwidth is X, the maximum
>    number of TE-LSPs is N, and each TE-LSP must at least have a
>    bandwidth of B, it inserts a BANDWIDTH object specifying X as the
>    required bandwidth and a LOAD-BALANCING object with the Max-LSP and
>    Min Bandwidth Spec fields set to N and B, respectively.
>
>    For technologies based on statistical multiplexing (e.g., InterServ,
>    Ethernet), the exact bandwidth management (e.g., Ethernet's Excessive
>    Rate) is left to the PCE's policies, according to the operator's
>    configuration. If required, further documents may introduce a new
>    mechanism to finely express complex load balancing policies within
>    PCEP.
>

> Would that update address that part of your DISCUSS? (The remaining
> parts will be straightforward once this one is resolved.)

I seem to have forgotten some of the details of what fields are in the
various objects, but let's see what I can say regardless of that.
I think the general approach of specifying behavior when there's an obvious
scalar bandwidth and leaving the choice to the PCE in other cases is a good
approach.

For the specifics, we probably don't want to say "when the bandwidth can be
expressed as a scalar" and "for technologies based on statistical
multiplexing" just in case there ends up being some third category, so the
second paragraph could start off as something like "In all other cases,
including for technologies based on statistical multiplexing [...]".

It also seems like for the first case, we would be able to use the
un-modified RFC 5440 BANDWIDTH and not need the generalized form?  But
perhaps I misremember/misunderstand...

Thanks,

Ben