[Pce] Shepherd Review of draft-ietf-pce-stateful-path-protection-05

<julien.meuric@orange.com> Thu, 06 June 2019 16:15 UTC

From: julien.meuric@orange.com
To: "draft-ietf-pce-stateful-path-protection@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-pce-stateful-path-protection@ietf.org>
CC: "pce@ietf.org" <pce@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2019 18:15:00 +0200
Subject: [Pce] Shepherd Review of draft-ietf-pce-stateful-path-protection-05

Hi authors of draft-ietf-pce-stateful-path-protection,

Thank you for the update following Dhruv's comments.

To summarize, I mainly have 2 issues to point out:
- The I-D depends on RFC 4872 and reuses the P, S and PT flags (which is
great); however, the side effect of redefining (why?) the expansion of
the S bit (Standby vs. Secondary) leads to a common behavior with an
opposite flag value between the specifications! As suggested by the
reference in section 3.2., we expect alignment here.
- In sections 4.5 and 6.3, the Error-Type for associations has shifted
from 26 (early allocated by IANA) to 29 (from nowhere); this mistake
makes me wonder about the implementation status of the I-D.

Then, looking at the details.
------
Header
---
- As pointed out by Dhruv, we still miss a valid justification for the 7
names listed on the front page, all the more as you exceed the
recommended threshold by 2.
------
Abstract
---
- s/A stateful Path Computation Element/An active stateful Path
Computation Element/
- s/for a stateful PCE/for an active stateful PCE/
------
1. Introduction
---
- s/the PCE Initiated mode/the PCE-Initiated mode/
------
3. PCEP Extensions
---
- s/[I-D.ietf-pce-association-group]
specify/[I-D.ietf-pce-association-group] specifies/
- s/The length field is 16 bit-long and has/The length field (16 bits) has/
- s/Following flags are currently defined -/The following flags are
currently defined:/
- s/Following values are/The following values are/
- s/i.e. P bit is unset/i.e. as if P bit is unset/
------
4. Operation
---
- s/[RFC8231], the the association group/[RFC8231]. The association group/
- s/to a LSP/to an LSP/
- s/includes PPAG./includes PPAGs./
- s/PCC Initiated/PCC-Initiated/
- s/remove on or more/remove one or more/
- s/PCC would report/PCC reports/
- s/via Path Computation Report(PCRpt) message/via the Path Computation
Report (PCRpt) message/
- s/LSPs to a stateful PCE/LSPs to an active PCE/
- s/where PCE would/where the PCE would/
- s/via Path Computation Update(PCUpd) message/via the Path Computation
Update (PCUpd) message/
- s/to PCC via PCUpd message/to the PCC via the PCUpd message/
- s/refer [I-D.litkowski-pce-state-sync]/refer to
[I-D.litkowski-pce-state-sync]/
- s/PCE Initiated LSPs/PCE-Initiated LSPs/
- s/both the PCE and PCC/both the PCE and the PCC/
- s/uses PCUpd or Path Computation Initiate(PCInitiate) message/uses the
PCUpd or the Path Computation Initiate (PCInitiate) messages/
- s/at PCC/at the PCC/
- s/Same procedure/The same procedure/
- s/with Error-Type= 29/with Error-Type 26/
- s/and Error-Value = TBD3/and Error-Value TBD3/
- s/1:N (with N=1),/1:N with N=1,/
- s/and protection LSP/and one protection LSP
- s/a PCEP Speaker/a PCEP speaker/
- s/with Error-Type=29/with Error-Type 26/
- s/and Error-Value = TBD4/and Error-Value TBD4/
- s/continue to apply/continues to apply/
------
5. Other considerations
---
- s/Other considerations/Other Considerations/
- s/LSPs.The/LSPs. The/
- s/for the the protection LSP/for the protection LSP/
- s/both ASSOCIATION object/both ASSOCIATION objects/
- s/and disjoint association/and the disjoint association/
------
6. IANA considerations
---
- s/IANA considerations/IANA Considerations/
- s/Action [RFC8126]. Each bit should be tracked with the following
qualities:/Action [RFC8126]./  [The sentence appears twice.]
- s/new Error-Type and Error-Value/new Error-Value/
- The table in section 6.3 is confusing. A way to clarify would be to
say: "allocate new error values for Error-Type 26 within [...]" and
change the 1st column into "Error-Value".
------

Cheers,

Julien

Thank you.