Re: [Pce] Review of draft-ietf-pce-pcep-inter-domain-p2mp-procedures-04

Julien Meuric <julien.meuric@orange.com> Fri, 05 July 2013 15:05 UTC

Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2013 17:05:09 +0200
From: Julien Meuric <julien.meuric@orange.com>
To: pce@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Pce] Review of draft-ietf-pce-pcep-inter-domain-p2mp-procedures-04

Hi authors.

Besides Oscar's, please find my complementary comments (which were stuck
on my paper).

A comment which globally spans the I-D: there are a few RFC 2119
keywords, but it feels like there are not enough when defining the
mechanism's behavior; e.g. the definition of the C bit includes a
"should" while I would have rather expected a "MUST" (or at least a
"SHOULD"). Note that the "Manageability" section appropriately uses
these keywords more frequently (different writer?).

----------
Abstract + Introduction
-----
s/GMPLS networks/GMPLS-controlled networks/ [twice]
----------
Section 2
-----
The definitions of "boundary nodes" and "core tree" begin with "<defined
term> is...", unlike the others one. I suggest to drop those "<defined
term> is" phrases in the sentences to make them consistent.

s/PCE (Path Computation Element): an entity/PCE: Path Computation
Element. An entity/
----------
Section 3
-----
s/GMPLS networks/GMPLS-controlled networks/ [one of my favorites! ;-) ]
----------
Section 5
-----
s/Its also important/It is also important/

The way requirements 5 to 8 are written is not consistent with the
previous ones; adding "should be supported" at the end of each one would
address my concern.
----------
Section 6
-----
s/called an Objective Function (OF) may be indicated/called an Objective
Function (OF), may be indicated/
s/(the Core Tree) should be optimal/(the Core Tree), should be optimal/
----------
Section 7
-----
s/Core Tree Based procedure/Core Tree-based procedure/
s/as a tree, which satisfies/as a tree that satisfies/
s/Path-Key Mechanism/path-key mechanism/
s/the same nodes and links/these nodes and links/
s/Path-key Mechanism can/Path-key mechanism can/
s/BRPC based procedure/BRPC-based procedure/
s/BRPC Based Core Tree/BRPC-Based Core Tree/
s/form a set of paths, we call it a/form all possible sets of paths, we
call them/
s/point to point, BRPC procedure/point to point BRPC procedure/
s/message is as per/message as per/
s/not necessary pruned/not necessarily pruned/
s/intermediate PCEs.<BR>The reason for/intermediate PCEs. The reason for/
s/its parent PCE/its upstream PCE/ [I'm surprised Oscar missed that one
;-) ]
s/eventually by looking through all the combinations, and taking one
sub-path from each set to built one P2MP tree it finds/eventually, by
looking through all the combinations and taking one sub-path from each
set to build one P2MP tree, it finds/ [commas + "build"]
s/PCE MAY consider/A PCE MAY consider/
s/Sub Tree Computation/Sub-Tree Computation/
s/these mechanism are/these mechanisms are/

In section 7.4.2, I wonder why the IGP and BGP are not mentioned as
possible ways of building domain trees based on source/leaves addresses
(when relevant).

When defining the grafting of leaf nodes, a scalability risk is
identified on the number of inter-domain PCEP adjacencies. Hierarchical
PCE is mentioned, which is relevant, but I fail to see this as an
"alternative": both are alike in their hub and spoke approach, and the
latter does not address the former issue. I would rephrase that as a
commonalty rather than an "alternative".

Related noted: the previous explanation is given 3 three times within 2
pages (sections 7.3, 7.5 and 7.6). Given that section 7.5 focuses on it,
I would put the text there and prune some from other sections.
Section 9
-----
s/configuration MAYBE stored/configuration MAY be stored/
s/and that this information/and this information/
s/The are also/They are also/