[Pce] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-pce-stateful-hpce-11

Stephen Farrell via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Tue, 27 August 2019 22:32 UTC

From: Stephen Farrell via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: secdir@ietf.org
Cc: pce@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org, draft-ietf-pce-stateful-hpce.all@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 15:32:15 -0700
Subject: [Pce] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-pce-stateful-hpce-11

Reviewer: Stephen Farrell
Review result: Has Nits

Hiya,

This draft doesn't define new protocol but rather describes a way to use existing
PCE stuff in what I guess is a new way.

The nit I see is the usual, presumably fictional, reference to TCP-AO.  I mean, if
nobody actually does that, why bother? Esp. if you have a TLS option that's (I
hope) less fictional. (Is TLS less fictional for PCEP btw?) OTOH, I guess that
nearly everyone now knows that referring to TCP-AO is just a figleaf to try keep
security nerds happy, so maybe it's ok that we all suspend disbelief;-(

Other than that, I did have two questions that occurred to me, but that are by
no means a reason to hold up this draft - if answers required some action, it'd
almost certainly not be something that'd be fixed here. But I'm still curious:-)

1. Has anyone spent any significant amount of time/effort attempting to
attack an H-PCE network  as a PCEP speaker? (And written that up:-) It
looks to me like there're enough moving parts here that any real stateful
hierarchical PCE  network could be fairly likely to have interestingly
exploitable problems in the face of such an attacker.

2. I see a reference to SPEAKER-IDENTITY-TLV. I wondered if the
ability to e.g. use different SubjectAltNames in x.509 certificates
might create the potential for some kind of deliberate or accidental
loops to be created somewhere.

Again, there's no reason to hold this up to try answer (or even to
understand) those questions. I'd be happy to chat over a beer with
someone  at IETF106 about 'em as that might be easier than a bunch
of mail.

Cheers,
S.