[PCN] draft-ietf-pcn-architecture-01.txt disambiguation suggestions

Bob Briscoe <rbriscoe@jungle.bt.co.uk> Tue, 06 November 2007 23:26 UTC

Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 23:25:37 +0000
To: "EARDLEY, Phil" <philip.eardley@bt.com>
From: Bob Briscoe <rbriscoe@jungle.bt.co.uk>
Cc: PCN IETF list <pcn@ietf.org>
Subject: [PCN] draft-ietf-pcn-architecture-01.txt disambiguation suggestions

Phil,

Arch draft is looking v good now (I've just started the OAM text I
promised). Thanks for making all the changes.

A few review comments (none are substantial - they are either nits or ways
to help readers avoid misinterpreting)...

First, note the auto-generated nits off the IETF tools page:
<http://tools.ietf.org/wg/pcn/draft-ietf-pcn-architecture/draft-ietf-pcn-architecture-01.nits.txt>

1. Introduction

>                                                         A possibility
>       after re-chartering is to consider that the PCN-domain encompasses
>       several DiffServ domains that don't trust each other

Suggest change 'Diffserv domains' -> 'autonomous systems', as the term
"Diffserv domain" carries extra baggage that isn't in PCN, particularly
ingress traffic conditioning.

There are many other occurrences of the term 'Diffserv domain' throughout,
but this is the only one I would ask to be changed.

However, preferably where "Diffserv domain" is cited as [RFC2475], I would
like to see an explicit statement that we do NOT imply PCN needs or uses
traffic conditioning like the majority of RFC2475 deployments (although we
discuss a scenario where it does).

A large part of RFC2475 is about traffic conditioning. So citing RFC2475
without this caveat could be misread as "Take a Diffserv domain with all
its traffic conditioning, then add all the PCN stuff as well." From bitter
experience, I know people reading IETF docs often make assumptions we
didn't expect.

5.7. Addressing

>                                                     Alternatively, if
>       PCN-traffic is always tunnelled across the PCN-domain, then the
>       PCN-ingress-node's address is simply the source address of the
>       outer packet header - but then the PCN-ingress-node needs to know
>       the address of the PCN-egress-node

, using one of the many automated tunnel endpoint discovery mechanisms
available (e.g. signalling or probing over the data route, interrogating
routing, using a centralised broker) or by manual configuration

>.

{I figured that people will read this as an open issue unless we make it
clear that common solutions are available.}

>                                                     the centralised node
>       may need to know the addresses of the PCN-ingress-node and PCN-
>       egress-node, the PCN-egress-node

may need to

>know the address of the PCN-
>       ingress-node, and the PCN-ingress-node

may need to

>know the address of the
>       centralised node.  NOTE: Consideration of the centralised case is
>       out of scope of the initial PCN WG Charter.

5.8. Tunnelling

>                                               PCN-marking is then
>    orthogonal to tunnel encapsulation /decapsulation.

I think this contradicts the statement just before that decapsulation has
to overwrite inner with outer if it is more severe. That requires the
decapsulator to have knowledge of PCN, to know which marking is more
severe. So PCN & encapsulation are orthogonal, but not PCN & decapsulation.

Bob