Re: [PCN] hope changes in PCN drafts will not affect validity assumptions in draft-ietf-tsvwg-rsvp-pcn

<philip.eardley@bt.com> Sun, 25 March 2012 15:29 UTC

From: philip.eardley@bt.com
To: karagian@cs.utwente.nl, pcn@ietf.org
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 16:29:22 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB
Subject: Re: [PCN] hope changes in PCN drafts will not affect validity assumptions in draft-ietf-tsvwg-rsvp-pcn

surely we're trying to finish the work off, rather than opening up new functionality?

'not being precluded' is very different from 'will try to support'!

on your first suggestion:
I'm not sure what you mean by 'more than one PCN aware behaviour aggregate between two edge nodes'. If you mean, several forwarding priorities I'd disagree; if you mean several DSCPs each with the same fwding priority, not sure I understand the use case; if you mean ECMP - maybe, but I don't understand what solution you're thinking of (is it something in http://www.bobbriscoe.net/projects/ipe2eqos/pcn/papers/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-cl-architecture-04.txt or some new idea?)
I'm sceptical, but not sure I understand what your scenario is

on your second point:
we have always said that PCN is for inelastic flows. with your flow slowing, this is changing the model. we have always said that flow termination is highly unusual action taken in extreme cases when somethng has gone wrong - normally, admission control, plus sensible utilisation, plus flow aggregation, plus that there is lower priority traffic that can flex, should keep the network in a safe operating region. To me, flow slowing sounds like an optimisation that isn't worthwhile.
So I'm pretty dubious about this one.

thanks,
phil