Re: [PCN] dropping assumption 1 for draft-ietf-tsvwg-rsvp-pcn-01.txt (assumption 2 needed)

<karagian@cs.utwente.nl> Tue, 27 March 2012 15:13 UTC

From: karagian@cs.utwente.nl
To: philip.eardley@bt.com, toby.moncaster@cl.cam.ac.uk
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 15:13:33 +0000
x-originating-ip: [83.202.83.1]
Cc: pcn@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [PCN] dropping assumption 1 for draft-ietf-tsvwg-rsvp-pcn-01.txt (assumption 2 needed)

Hi Phil,

Section 2 of RFC 4495 explains that during the re-reservation request period of time no packets will traverse the "affected"" aggregate  (which contains the individual flows whose bandwidth needs to be reduced), until it is reestablished. So during that time no packets (belonging to the individual flows whose bandwidth needs to be reduced) will traverse the PCN domain until it is reestablished. See the text copied from Section2 of RFC 4495.

--// --
   This specification makes it possible for the ResvErr message to
   indicate that 20 units are still available for a reservation to
   remain up (the interface's 100 units maximum minus Flow 2's 80
   units).  The reservation initiating node (router or end-system) for
   Flow 1 has the opportunity to renegotiate (via call signaling) for
   acceptable parameters within the existing and available bandwidth for
   the flow (for example, it may decide to change to using a codec such
   as G.729)
--//--

During the re-reservation request period of time no packets will
   traverse the aggregate until it is reestablished.
      - reduces the chances that the reestablishment of the aggregate
        will reserve an inefficient amount of bandwidth, causing the
        likely preemption of more individual flows at the aggregator
        than would be necessary had the aggregator had more information
        (that RSVP does not provide at this time)
-//==

Best regards,
Georgios