Re: [pcp] IESG review of draft-ietf-pcp-third-party-id-option-04

Juergen Quittek <Quittek@neclab.eu> Fri, 11 December 2015 17:58 UTC

From: Juergen Quittek <Quittek@neclab.eu>
To: "mohamed.boucadair@orange.com" <mohamed.boucadair@orange.com>, "pcp@ietf.org" <pcp@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 17:58:14 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.1.99.69]
Subject: Re: [pcp] IESG review of draft-ietf-pcp-third-party-id-option-04

Hi Med,

What I understand from the security ADs is that any potential risk
introduced by the option needs to be discussed. It is not enough to say:
please use it only if sufficiently protected. We also need to state
what the risks would be if protection was less than optimal.

> I see THIRD_PARTY_ID as an extra information that can be communicated to
> the PCP server in cases where the source IP address and the content of
> THIRD_PARTY are not sufficient to demux connections or to select which policy
> to enforce when receiving a PCP request. The actual ID to be carried in a
> THIRD_PARTY_ID is really deployment-specific (e.g., it ca be a MAC@ for L2-
> aware NAT, an interface ID, Context ID for RFC6674, etc.). If you define a
> tunnel-ID as such then I'm in full agreement.

I am afraid that we have to be more specific than this. We also need to specify
the encoding of tunnel IDs as payload of the THIRD_PARTY_ID option.

Cheers,
    Juergen