[pcp] Stephen Farrell's No Objection on draft-ietf-pcp-port-set-12: (with COMMENT)

"Stephen Farrell" <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Thu, 22 October 2015 12:17 UTC

From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 05:17:07 -0700
Cc: draft-ietf-pcp-port-set@ietf.org, pcp@ietf.org, rapenno@yahoo.com, pcp-chairs@ietf.org
Subject: [pcp] Stephen Farrell's No Objection on draft-ietf-pcp-port-set-12: (with COMMENT)

Stephen Farrell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-pcp-port-set-12: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pcp-port-set/

COMMENT:

- section 4, last sentence: I didn't get why this MUST NOT was
needed. I've no clue if it'd be obvious to a PCP implementer
or not though. 4.2 does say though, maybe consider moving the
note up?

- 4.1: size == 0xffff has gotta be operationally dangerous,
I'm surprised you don't have a bunch of caveats on it's use.
Shouldn't you have at least some guidance in 4.2 for that as
well? 6.1 and section 7 cover this though I guess.

- 4.2: Is there a possible troublesome case where the client
asks for parity and gets that but gets fewer ports than
requested? E.g. if client wants 6 with parity and only gets 5,
then the client might not be able to use that as it really
needs 3 pairs of ports. Did you consider saying that a server
has to return an even number of ports if parity is requested?
(Or would that make sense?, I'm not sure:-)