Re: [Pearg] Thanks!

Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch> Thu, 08 November 2018 05:06 UTC

From: Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2018 12:06:33 +0700
Cc: pearg@irtf.org
To: Mallory Knodel <mallory@article19.org>
Subject: Re: [Pearg] Thanks!

Hi Mallory, hi all,

please note that RFC 7258 has one paragraph on this tension:

"While PM is an attack, other forms of monitoring that might fit the
   definition of PM can be beneficial and not part of any attack, e.g.,
   network management functions monitor packets or flows and anti-spam
   mechanisms need to see mail message content.  Some monitoring can
   even be part of the mitigation for PM, for example, certificate
   transparency [RFC6962] involves monitoring Public Key Infrastructure
   in ways that could detect some PM attack techniques.  However, there
   is clear potential for monitoring mechanisms to be abused for PM, so
   this tension needs careful consideration in protocol design.  Making
   networks unmanageable to mitigate PM is not an acceptable outcome,
   but ignoring PM would go against the consensus documented here.  An
   appropriate balance will emerge over time as real instances of this
   tension are considered.“

Mirja