[Pearg] I-D Action: draft-irtf-pearg-website-fingerprinting-00.txt

internet-drafts@ietf.org Thu, 27 February 2020 03:06 UTC

From: internet-drafts@ietf.org
To: i-d-announce@ietf.org
Cc: pearg@irtf.org
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 19:06:59 -0800
Subject: [Pearg] I-D Action: draft-irtf-pearg-website-fingerprinting-00.txt

This draft is a work item of the Privacy Enhancements and Assessments Research Group RG of the IRTF.

        Title           : Network-Based Website Fingerprinting
        Authors         : Ian Goldberg
                          Tao Wang
                          Christopher A. Wood
	Filename        : draft-irtf-pearg-website-fingerprinting-00.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2020-02-26

Abstract:
   The IETF is well on its way to protecting connection metadata with
   protocols such as DNS-over-TLS and DNS-over-HTTPS, and work-in-
   progress towards encrypting the TLS SNI.  However, more work is
   needed to protect traffic metadata, especially in the context of web
   traffic.  In this document, we survey Website Fingerprinting attacks,
   which are a class of attacks that use machine learning techniques to
   attack web privacy, and highlight metadata leaks used by said
   attacks.  We also survey proposed mitigations for such leakage and
   discuss their applicability to IETF protocols such as TLS, QUIC, and
   HTTP.  We endeavor to show that Website Fingerprinting attacks are a
   serious problem that affect all Internet users, and we pose open
   problems and directions for future research in this area.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-pearg-website-fingerprinting/

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-pearg-website-fingerprinting-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-irtf-pearg-website-fingerprinting-00

ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/