Re: [Pearg] Fwd: [Busec] Virtual BUsec seminar Wed 9/30 at 9:45 am: Sarah Scheffler, "Protecting Cryptography from Self-Incrimination"

Heinrich Feuerbach <info@feuerbach.info> Sun, 27 September 2020 09:06 UTC

Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 10:59:28 +0200
From: Heinrich Feuerbach <info@feuerbach.info>
To: "David R. Oran" <daveoran@orandom.net>
Cc: Pearg@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [Pearg] Fwd: [Busec] Virtual BUsec seminar Wed 9/30 at 9:45 am: Sarah Scheffler, "Protecting Cryptography from Self-Incrimination"

Hello Dave,

one working Ansatz is already there to solve this issue: it is the
possibility of having a private partition in an eg. USB stick, beneath
a "public" partition. So to hide encrypted volumes inside another (as
well encrypted) volume. In case of trying to enforce decryption, one
would just decrypt the "outer" volume, containing nothing really
important to the user. So, no way to have or get evidence of another
volume inside, which contains really confidential data, as everything
is held as random bytes on the same disk.
Example is the tool "VeraCrypt".

Cheers,
Hein