RE: Sad situation!!!

Peter Williams <peter@verisign.com> Thu, 03 October 1996 13:07 UTC

From: Peter Williams <peter@verisign.com>
To: "pem-dev@tis.com" <pem-dev@tis.com>, "'Frederik H. Andersen'" <fha@dde.dk>
Subject: RE: Sad situation!!!
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 1996 11:19:41 -0700
Sender: pem-dev-approval@neptune.tis.com

Frederick,

Its not believable, given the personal credibilty problems which would
result, that a PGP trademarked
product will ever support key recovery, with mandatory access to confidential
material, by third parties, including potential covert (wrt to the
subscriber) access by law enforcement. This
inability to support a feature which US corporate users demand almost make
PGP a commercial product
disaster, in that corporate market.

(The above assumes, corporates do in fact demand key recovery, to control
access to their
own property.)

Does PGP have a major place in the market to which its always appealed. Of
course. Does
it have appeal to the general purpose residential market. We will see, and I
wish it
luck, personally.

PGPs destined lack of ubquity however, suggests that, it will not become an
actual standard
for general interoperabilty between internet folk, corporate, residential,
or civil libertarians,
alike.

Now, the standards situation would be reversed if PGP were to permit key
escrow. However,
full ubiquity would still be lost, as the traditional PGP users group will
no doubt refuse to use the
product, and many current distributors of the public-domain
version would be morally forced, on civil liberatarian grounds, to cease
distribution (or be labelled
hypocrits).

Whilst underground PGP will inevitably continue to thrive, its denotation as
an internet standard will
be as suspect as today.

Peter.