RE: Sad situation!!! -Reply

Peter Williams <peter@verisign.com> Fri, 04 October 1996 14:01 UTC

From: Peter Williams <peter@verisign.com>
To: Jack Oswald <joswald@wpo.borland.com>, "'Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu'" <Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu>
Cc: "pem-dev@TIS.COM" <pem-dev@tis.com>
Subject: RE: Sad situation!!! -Reply
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 12:21:21 -0700
Sender: pem-dev-approval@neptune.tis.com

Valdis,

There will be a great number of propeitary systems coming out
which link some nouveau algoirithm to the format, versus the internet way
served by S/Mime, MOSS,  PGP which faciliates standards first,
and choice of algorithms second.

Is MAPI very important?

Yes, say I, as it represent the usefullness (for S/MIME ayway) to
corporate workflow/form-based applications of messaging, versus personal
email access services.

The Deming S/MIME tool already fits behing mapi. From any windows tool
offering a std Document Send feature, the std win95 compose
window is presented for originating the document (now an attachement)
with comment; It can now offer the S/MIME service provider,
if installed. It could just as easily offer the PGP, or proprietary
package. The understandability and usability of each, based
on consumer management  of security issues, may differ by package,
however!

The S/MIME tool applied to the web, nicely integrates web
based interaction with workflow, also. IE has a document send window:
I can now S/MIME forward the document Im browsing to parties
within my network, when private comments. In HTML capable
browsers/mail readers (Navigator, etc) this forwarded comment is
revealed/decrypted
on demand by authorised recipeints, and the page(s) displayed
in the browser (or other stream presentation mechanism).

Try it!  - http://www.deming.com

I now have most of what OSI's DTAM/X.400 P1 security/X.400 w/ODA  content,
aimed to provide!

The differences between what OSI conceived for document architecture
and security model based email, with integrated document filing and
retrieval facilites, and internally secured SGML/ODA multi-media/mixed-mode
documents
is very close to what the Internet user now actually has in web+mail.

Today, its called HTML, HTTP, Authenticode, S/MIME, Pop3/Mapi/SMTP and
packaged as "the Web" versus OSI. I have no doubt
Im very close to the mixed mode. multi-media  telematic workstations I was
promised by OSI ohine companies 10 years ago!..

I suspect  the phone companies which paid for OSI work will yet inherit the
world, looking
at whats happening to the Internet!

Peter.