Re: [PEPPERMINT] DRINKS Charter v 02

"Jean-Francois Mule" <jf.mule@cablelabs.com> Tue, 13 May 2008 22:04 UTC

Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 16:02:58 -0600
From: Jean-Francois Mule <jf.mule@cablelabs.com>
To: Richard Shockey <richard@shockey.us>, peppermint@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [PEPPERMINT] DRINKS Charter v 02
Sender: peppermint-bounces@ietf.org

Rich,

   The draft charter looks ok but this attempt to limit the scope to one
of the protocols that can access or make use of this data is too
restrictive.  Said differently, the drops (data elements in DRINKS)
should be independent from the query protocol used to access it.

   Find some comments inline to assist in the scope definition.

Jean-Francois.

On the one hand, this sentence does not say much given you have "with
limited exceptions".
On the other hand, it means limiting the SED data subset to what can be
expressed or meaningful for ENUM.  Fundamentally, this seems wrong to
assume given deliverables (data exchanges between data registries, SSPs,
location functions -- not all will rely on ENUM).
I would be ok with including fields that might be provisioned for the
session establishment using ENUM and/or SIP.

> If the working group would like to
> work on
> data types unrelated to ENUM registries and databases, the WG will
> recharter.

> RS:  In addition DRINKS will ensure that the SED and the
> SIP
> session data securely exchanged between the peering functions.
I don't understand what is meant here.
Is it for DRINKS to ensure that the SED data can be securely exchanged
by protocol entities?

> Typical SED data might include:
>
> + Routes
>      - Destination SIP/SIPS/TEL URI Egress and Ingress Routes
>      - Relevant route names, identifiers, and services
>      - Attributes affecting route selection
>      - PSTN database information
>
>  + Targets
>      - Individual, ranges, or groups of user-agent identifiers
>      - Target aggregation entities (e.g. service areas) and
> target-to-aggregate associations
>
> + Treatment Profiles
>      - Priority
>      - Location
>
> Potential SED Data types not in scope will be session rating or
> other
> billing or pricing information between SSP's.
I would remove "potential" otherwise this is still left for further
discussion.

> It is also recognized that peering relationships become more
> complex as
> multiple peers are added to a common relationship; these complex
> aspects and
> requirements are defined within the contexts of a peering
> Federation.
>

> The DRINKS working group is chartered with a scope that is
> orthogonal to SPEERMINT and ENUM.

> The protocol work of DRINKS will be designed
> to build
> from the work of SPEERMINT and ENUM to identify and define the data
> structures and data exchange protocol(s) among SIP based Multimedia
> administrative domains.
>
> These administrative domains may be of any practical size and could
> be any
> type of SSP, such as recognized telephony carriers, enterprises,
> end-user
> groups, or Federations.  Data exchanges among these administrative
> domains
> may be bi-lateral or multi-lateral in nature, and could include
> bulk updates
> and/or more granular real-time updates.
>
> Administrative domains may exchange data directly between each
> other or
> might use an external registry to aggregate data from multiple
> administrative domains or multiple data providers into a single
> view.
>
> The working group will draw upon expert advice and on-going
> consultation
> from the ENUM and SPEERMINT working groups, and also the XML
> Directorate.
> The working group will consider the reuse of elements of RFC 4114.
>
> The final work product(s) from this working group will utilize and
> be based
> on XML documents and XML document exchanges.
>

> PROPOSED GOALS AND MILESTONES
>

> Requirements for Session Establishment Data (SED) data exchanges.
> Status
> Proposed Standard.
> WGLC - Nov 08
>
> Exchanging of Session Establishment Data (SED) from data providers
> registries or between bi/multi-lateral partners. Intended Status -
> Proposed
> standard.
> WGLC - Jan 09
>
> Exchange of Session Establishment Data (SED) from registries to
> Location
> Routing Function databases. Intended Status-Proposed Status.
> WGLC - Mar 09
To limit the scope, should one of the two last deliverables be declared
out-of-scope for now?  I guess the question is: do people on the list
feel that both the data-to-registry and registry-to-location function
problems need to be solved?  This seems 2 related but distinct problems
in scope.

As I commented at the mike in IETF#71, I personally think both are
valuable to solve in parallel but may be that is too much.  There was a
draft submitted to show an example of something that could feed into the
last deliverable.
One thought would be to start from the bottom and move up the data
chain: what is used by quering entities that use SIP/ENUM from a
location routing function? then get that data model about right, before
you look at how data providers want to structure the multiple views
based on the roles played by data owners/users/intermediates.  Can you
declare one of the 2 out-of-scope and then recharter to add the second
deliverable once we get somewhere?