Re: [perpass] politics and the ietf

Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org> Thu, 05 December 2013 13:47 UTC

Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 14:46:42 +0100
From: Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org>
To: Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>, Robin Wilton <wilton@isoc.org>, Elijah Sparrow <elijah@bitmask.net>
Cc: "perpass@ietf.org" <perpass@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [perpass] politics and the ietf

On 12/04/2013 09:24 PM, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:
> Robin, Elijah,
>
> I am always curious how one manages to make a clear distinction
> between political decisions, technical decisions, economical
> decisions, and other decisions.

Political decisions have to deal with sovereignty: Who makes binding
decisions. I think what has escaped lots of folks in Internet governance
is that now the Internet is at the centre of rather important political
struggles over decision-making.

The problem is "who" is making these decisions. Right now, for standards
it's an open multi-stakeholder process that at least we who are involved
in places like the IETF believes make technical decisions, but these
decisions only have binding force insofar as they provide enough
economic advantage that vendors implement them uniformly.

However, we should never forget that the very process of making
decisions means that standards bodies are *always* political in this
large sense of making decisions. After all, it is very possible that
some vendors and countries can go away and make their own decisions
without the traditional Internet open and voluntary standards bodies,
and bind their new technologies via the threat of coercive violence.
While we have name-calling on IETF mailing lists, I'm not aware of
coercive violence anywhere.

I'm hoping we can bear the responsibility of creating an Internet free
of pervasive surveillance. And we should be aware that even if we are
successful in this, other pre-Internet political bodies ranging from
nation-states to vendors will try to strip out whatever safeguards we
try to put in in order to continue the value they gain from
surveillance. A conflict between different bodies, each with its own
plans for the future and its own overlapping sphere of decision-making,
is self-evidently a political struggle.

> The perception that "in the early days of the Internet" the decisions
> were purely technical as too simplistic. If you look at specific
> decisions of individuals in the IETF it is hard to put them into
> specific categories. Even if you believe you see a purely technical
> decision it may have economical implications, or at some time
> interfere with other design goals. Take the HTTP state management work
> as an example. The introduction of cookies was a technical mechanism
> to keep state for the otherwise mostly stateless HTTP protocol. As we
> now know, the way how cookies have been used later by various Web
> companies lead to privacy concerns. This lead to the famous technical
> work on Do Not Track, which has technical components, business
> implications, and raises legal questions.

In the "early days" of the Internet, to my knowlege, the Internet was
more of a research project amongst co-operative researchers at places
like MIT, SRI, and CERN with the Web so security and privacy concerns
were minimal at best. I'm not sure what else can explain early RFCs :)
Obviously this has changed, and now folks have to retro-fit these
security on top the system.

> I wouldn't call the discussions on the list necessarily as "political"
> but rather non-actionable statements. Here is what I mean by that.
>
> Some of us try to take specific actions and that requires that you
> identify who needs to do what. There are things the IETF can do, but
> there are other communities as well. I tried to explain a simplified
> version of the Internet protocol development process in
> http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-tschofenig-perpass-surveillance-01.txt.
> As you can see different communities deal with different type of
> security vulnerabilities. Security problems are not a new thing - just
> check the OWASP top-10 security vulnerabilities of the last couple of
> years. These vulnerabilities are obviously be exploited by various
> folks (state actors, criminals, script kiddies, researchers,
> enterprise network administrators, etc.). A software that is
> vulnerable to, let's say, an SQL injection vulnerability is
> unfortunately not kind enough to take the motives, the organization,
> the hair colour, etc. of the attacker into account.
>
> Of course it would be possible to could come up with suggestions for
> other communities. But you have to start somewhere first. I don't see
> it as my task, for example, to tell the European Commission, the
> European Parliament, or the Council what they should be doing. I doubt
> that the IETF community would be interested in producing such
> recommendations.

I think they'd want to create broad mandates based on policy decisions
(hopefully made with consent or even involvement of general population)
that then are respected by the details of technical standards bodies. Of
course, that's not usually how it works in practice with governments,
who tend to either overspecify technical details or do not actually
represent the consent of their population in any meaningful sense of the
term.

> For everyone on the list who believes that regulators should take some
> actions then they should just approach them. It is just lame to say
> that others should do some work without even providing enough detail
> about what they should be doing.
>
> Ciao
> Hannes
>
> PS: I dislike the use of the term "politics", "policy makers", and
> alike. It just hides what you are really trying to say. Use other,
> more specific terms instead. For example, if you believe there is an
> action required by regulators then say "regulator". If you mean that
> the job is with enforcement agencies then say that.
In general, regulators are at the bequest of their government, who at
the present moment is often in thrall of lobbies that prevent anything
resembling effective regulation. There are political processes that do
not have regulatory power per se but have the power to nonetheless
mobilize actors (thinking ACTA/SOPA protests) that have the ability to
change the decisions of sovereign bodies.

  So I don't think "politics" is the wrong word or empty word. Hopefully
the IETF - with the help of ISOC of course - and others can continue to
interface open, meritocratic political Internet processes with
traditional per-Internet political actors.

  cheers,

            harry