Re: [perpass] Steer 750 million euro at the EC for 'future internet' the right way

Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org> Fri, 08 April 2016 15:35 UTC

To: Michiel Leenaars <michiel.ml@nlnet.nl>, perpass@ietf.org
From: Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2016 11:35:33 -0400
Subject: Re: [perpass] Steer 750 million euro at the EC for 'future internet' the right way

FYI,

I'm speaking to the European Commission at their NetFutures conference
on this very subject in 2 weeks, where I will try to convince them to
focus on funding security, privacy, funding open-source, and working
with standards bodies such as the IETF. If you know any particular
efforts that need to be highlighted, just ping me and I'll highlight
them. Otherwise, I was going to focus on success stories of TLS 1.3,
CertTrans, OAuth, WebCrypto and future work like  Humans Rights Protocol
Consideration IRTF task force, CFRG + postquantum, and
WebAuth/FIDO/Token-Binding. Rather than say, attempting to invent a new
network stack ran by a proprietary company, which is what some in the EC
would due if left to its own devices.

  cheers,
      harry