Re: [perpass] perens-perpass-appropriate-response-01

Bruce Perens <bruce@perens.com> Wed, 04 December 2013 20:14 UTC

Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 12:14:23 -0800
From: Bruce Perens <bruce@perens.com>
To: perpass@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [perpass] perens-perpass-appropriate-response-01

On 12/04/2013 03:13 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
Excuse me, but it seems you did not participate in the many
discussions about privacy in the last ten years. It is now well-known
that any information can be processed and used to find out about
users. Monitoring access to these files is one of the simplest means
to deduce (from the pattern of access) what an user is doing. There
are therefore many reasons to obscure it.
In my early teens I figured out how to tap telephones and actually tapped a neighbor and my friend's cop neighbor. The conclusion of my experimentation was that other people's phone calls are dreadfully boring.

I don't particularly care if someone can reconstruct a pattern of access from public file retrievals I make on the web. I can't imagine why anyone would ever be interested.

I have NDAs with various companies and confidentiality orders from a few courts, and I'm an insider stockholder for two companies. I'm careful with that data. But casual stuff on the web? Nothing to hide there.

    Thanks

    Bruce