Re: [perpass] NULL Cipher RFC 2410 to HISTORIC ???

Yoav Nir <ynir@checkpoint.com> Mon, 09 December 2013 07:24 UTC

From: Yoav Nir <ynir@checkpoint.com>
To: Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 07:23:40 +0000
x-originating-ip: [91.90.139.27]
x-kse-antivirus-interceptor-info: scan successful
x-kse-antivirus-info: Clean
Cc: perpass <perpass@ietf.org>, Merike Kaeo <merike@doubleshotsecurity.com>
Subject: Re: [perpass] NULL Cipher RFC 2410 to HISTORIC ???

Phil,

The issue is not that ESP needs a NULL cipher. It's that AH wouldn't traverse NAT, and so they needed ESP to do the work that AH was designed to do.

But beyond that little technicality, it stands out that they standardized AH at all. So they felt that there was a need for integrity-only IPsec. I guess part of this is that the perceived threats were different - there was less personal information on the Internet, and IPsec (unlike TLS) is much concerned with protecting non-confidential stuff like DNS, routing protocols. Today, about the only good use case I can think of that doesn't ever need confidentiality is NTP, and I don't know why we would want to design a protocol specifically for securing NTP.

Another part is that this was 1996 and in 1996 you had the "Pentium Pro" with a 150 MHz clock and a 60 MHz bus, which could probably do a few Mbps of 3DES+HMAC-MD5, or four times that with HMAC-MD5 alone. These are not today's processors that do 4 Gbps per core with AES-GCM.

BTW: this is not unique to IPsec. TLS also defines some NULL encryption ciphersuites.

Yoav