Re: [perpass] Commnets on draft-farrell-perpass-attack-00 was RE: perens-perpass-appropriate-response-01

Josh Howlett <Josh.Howlett@ja.net> Thu, 05 December 2013 14:41 UTC

From: Josh Howlett <Josh.Howlett@ja.net>
To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 14:41:33 +0000
Cc: perpass <perpass@ietf.org>, IETF Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [perpass] Commnets on draft-farrell-perpass-attack-00 was RE: perens-perpass-appropriate-response-01

Stephen,

Yes I agree its necessary, but its not the hard part of the problem. We are focusing on implementation detail, at the expense of the meaty political problems; namely, (1) establishing the level of monitoring civil society is willing to tolerate (on the spectrum none to pervasive) and (2) building whatever legislative consensus is necessary to enforce that. Moving straight to (3) the solution space may deliver specs and running code, but not the motivations to deploy it (or worse, incentives not to). I applaud the effort, even if it only serves to incrementally improve on the status quo, but given your adversaries I fear it is already doomed before it has started. Seriously, best of luck anyway :-)

Josh.