[Pesci-discuss] pesci-next-steps

"Michael Richardson" <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca> Thu, 23 February 2006 22:54 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
To: pesci <pesci-discuss@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 17:08:49 -0500
Subject: [Pesci-discuss] pesci-next-steps

Elwyn, I read your nice simple document today.
I felt an immediate response was waranteed, so I'm typing on the bus.

I agree with everything.

Please I'd improve.
2.0:	recall I kept asking if this was the meta-process or
	the meta-meta-process.

I want to suggest that this be made explicite --- your document
is describing a meta-meta-process.
      process:		      what a WG uses (such as "IPSEC")
      meta-process:	      what a meta-WG uses (such as "newtrk")
      meta-meta-process:      your document

2.1:  I think it is important to say that your meta-meta-process is
      simply a choice of a common IETF methodology --- the design team.
      i.e. no new technology is being proposed.

      It should be clear that newtrk, for instance, didn't really go
      the design team method. To a large extent, I'd call all WG lists
      "self-selected committee of the whole".
      A design team is often not self-selected, and does not represent
      the whole.

3.0:  you could consider reducing the problem set to just "IETF Chair",
      I doubt that any solution could be found to deal with that problem
      that didn't involve the IESG.

Maybe, instead of worrying about how to streamline the IETF, we should
restrict ourself to streamlining the IESG.

<SOLUTIONISM>
I would see things like bringing the IRTF in formally under the IAB,
maybe changing the name from "IETF #65 meeting" to "IAB #65 plenary".

I'd like to see things like having people/design-team publish an
Informational RFC as being the basis for a WG charter, for instance.
</SOLUTIONISM>

- --
] mcr@xelerance.com      http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/mcr/ |device driver[