Re: [Pidloc] [DMM] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-herbert-intarea-ams-00.txt

"Templin (US), Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com> Tue, 29 January 2019 18:25 UTC

From: "Templin (US), Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>
To: Tom Herbert <tom@quantonium.net>
CC: Vikram Siwach <vsiwach@gmail.com>, "pidloc@ietf.org" <pidloc@ietf.org>, dmm <dmm@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 18:25:34 +0000
x-originating-ip: [137.137.12.6]
x-tm-snts-smtp: 54BC99B1F70ECF8EC3B308A52546B2F03F305D30F0549DA89794C1493A6230C22000:8
Subject: Re: [Pidloc] [DMM] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-herbert-intarea-ams-00.txt

Hi Tom,

Good input, but for that one we really were chartered to focus specifically
on the aviation use case. Even so, the document says:

   "In this way, each set of c-ASBRs maintains
   separate routing and forwarding tables so that scaling is distributed
   across multiple c-ASBR sets instead of concentrated in a single
   c-ASBR set.  For example, a first c-ASBR set could aggregate an MSP
   segment A::/32, a second set could aggregate B::/32, a third could
   aggregate C::/32, etc.  The union of all MSP segments would then
   constitute the collective MSP(s) for the entire ATN/IPS."

The A::/32, B::/32, C::/32 I think correspond to what your document calls
"shards", but there is no implied maximum number in the doc so there
could be thousands. But, in terms of the architecture, all three documents
('scalable-bgp', 'atn-bgp' and AERO) really say the same thing - scalable
deaggregation.

> I looked at draft-templin-rtgwg-scalable-bgp. There's a lot discussion
> about scalability of c-ASBR but not so much about s-ABSR. I'm
> primarily interested in the latter because that is where the solution
> will be providing the oprimizations we want for low latency. While
> with c-ASBRs we could expect them to have scaling properties similar
> core routers, I would expect that s-ASBR devices will exhibit a lot
> more variety and have a wider range of scalability.

The document is very careful to differentiate scaling considerations of
s-ASBRs independently of the scaling considerations of the stub AS.
The s-ASBR is the entity that connects the stub AS to the overlay, but
there may be many other entities inside the stub AS whose job it is
to coordinate with the mobile nodes.

> For instance, it's
> conceivable that we might want the functionality incorporated into a
> low powered device in the base station of a microcell, or incorporated
> into MEC servers as I mentioned previously. I assume a BGP solution
> would require all s-ASBRs to hold all the routes for the sub-MNPs as
> well as being able to consume the rate of mobile events within the
> sub-MNP.

Other elements inside the stub AS can do the fine-grained mobility
signaling with the mobile nodes, while the s-ASBR can be deployed in
such a fashion that all it ever does is send unidirectional BGP updates
to c-ASBRs.

> So to me, the obvious question is if such a device were only
> communicating with, say, a 1000 nodes at any givent time, then does it
> really make sense to give them all the information about the 1M or so
> nodes in the sub-MNP, or can we just give them the information that is
> currently useful to them?

The stub ASes accept mobile node customers up to a certain maximum.
So, if there are currently only 1K customers then there are currently only
1K routes. But, let's assume that each stub AS can accept up to 1M mobile
node customers at a time. Then, if there are 1K stub ASes we achieve our
1B MNP goal.

It is also important to understand that the stub AS does not correspond to a
single sub-MSP aggregated prefix (e.g., 2001:db8::/44). The stub AS will accept
the MNPs of mobile nodes that are covered by any sub-MSP so routing in the
stub AS (as well as in the system as a whole) is completely de-aggregated.

Thanks for the questions, and let me know if you have any others.

Regard s- Fred