Re: Tired of Waiting

"Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer@mhsc.com> Wed, 15 July 1998 15:40 UTC

Delivery-Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 11:50:03 -0400
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 08:31:51 -0700
To: perry@piermont.com
From: "Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer@mhsc.com>
Subject: Re: Tired of Waiting
Cc: "Richard J. Sexton" <richard@sexton.com>, List@giaw.org, ietf@ietf.org, comments@iana.org, discussion-draft@giaw.org

At 09:12 PM 7/14/98 -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

>"Richard J. Sexton" writes:
>> Chris has little to be a flake about. You register the domain via a web
>> form. You make updates to it via a web form, there are half a dozen
>> nameservers or so for that TLD.
>>
>> If Chris is a flake, he doesnt get paid. I would consider that to
>> be incentive.
>
>One would have thought this to be true, but NSI has proven both ideas
>to be wrong. First of all, you will pay and pay, regardless, because
>you can't afford to have your domain name disrupted.

False, you pay because there is nowhere else to go. NSI really was messing
up bad for a long while, and they were arrogantly unresponsive as well.
This has since changed, thank God. However, it did highlight a problem.
There was no, and still isn't, any choice. All of us in NET or COM have no
choice. If one is in the US then there is REALLY NO CHOICE.

>We have also
>determined that even the simple business of assuring a database is
>kept up to date can be mammothly screwed up -- NSI has done so, on
>many occassions.

Still screwed up. No DB integrity.

>> Sure the prices *should* drop, I'll go you one further and say
>> they should be free. But, there appears to be enough of a consensus
>> that there should be a minimum price of $35/yr to encourage garabge
>> collection of unused names and to discourage runs on registries.
>
>I don't see any reason to set minimum or other prices -- that's price
>fixing, which the anti-trust laws discourage, and which I, as a free
>marketeer, don't believe in. The market will set the price on things
>fairly if we let it. That requires name portability and competition,
>however.
>
>> >I have no evidence that supports your claim. I also suspect that
>> >competition in the area would drive prices down to a small rate of
>> >return over cost.
>>
>> Try looking at a few CORE registrars, Perry. Let me know if you
>> find one thats $35.
>
>None of them are operating, so there are no prices from any of them
>for anything. There is no operating CORE registry at the
>moment. Unlike, say, Chris Ambler or Eugene Kashpureff, CORE doesn't
>pretend to be able to sell a service it currently cannot sell.

We don't either. We actually have private TLDs working. GRS is fine also.
Right now, untill the roots get opened up, we are deploying on GRS.

>> Also consider that some poeple may prefer paying less and living with
>> poor service as opposed to paying CORE prices and getting their
>> hand held.
>
>The point of CORE is to allow people to choose to pay for service, or
>not, as they freely wish in the marketplace. Some registrars for, say,
>.COM, could offer extensive handholding at a high price. Some could
>offer minimal service and a very low price, say $10 or $15. The whole
>point of CORE is to permit this sort of tradeoff to occur freely in
>the marketplace.

Why not give out a list of CORE registrars so we can all go take a look?
Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:rmeyer@mhsc.com>rmeyer@mhsc.com
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/
SecureMail from MHSC.NET is coming soon!