Re: Tired of Waiting

"Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer@mhsc.com> Wed, 15 July 1998 06:00 UTC

Delivery-Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 02:10:47 -0400
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 22:54:20 -0700
To: domain-policy@open-rsc.org
From: "Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer@mhsc.com>
Subject: Re: Tired of Waiting
Cc: Christopher Ambler <cambler@iodesign.com>, perry <perry@piermont.com>, Noel Chiappa <jnc@ginger.lcs.mit.edu>, ietf <ietf@ietf.org>, List <List@giaw.org>, comments <comments@iana.org>, discussion-draft <discussion-draft@giaw.org>, domain-policy <domain-policy@open-rsc.org>

At 11:45 PM 7/14/98 +0200, Robert Shaw wrote:
>Christopher Ambler wrote:
>>
>> Your assessment is as inaccurate as your basis for the claim. What
>> is the difference between a registry making an honest profit and a
>> registrar making an honest profit? If both provide good service,
>> contractually prohibit gouging and harm to the Internet, where is the
>> harm?
>
>Because this is the Internet public infrastructure and not your personal
>playground to make a fast buck. History has taught us a big lesson.

What lesson is that?

>.com represents 85% of all gTLD registrations. There is a reason: gTLDs
>are non-portable, quasi-non-interchangeable goods (imagine 'ownership'
>of .inc in a world of 100 million SLD delegations).

I was thinking more along the lines of each ISP eventually having their own
TLD, if for nothing more than to support their web-hosting business. It
also allows better control over VPNs, certainly an easier way to remember
them. At the moment, we are using private TLDs for this. It also lets one
build meta-nets. MHSC is on the cusp of casting such a meta-net of VPNs.
Yes, there is lock-in, but in this case, if someone wants to dis-connect
from our meta-net, we want them to remove all affiliations, including the TLD.

>Therefore, competition
>between registries (aka gTLDs) is fantasy. So get over it. Become a
registrar.
>Go forth and suffer *real* competition, not pseudo-competition because you
>have a lock on a gTLD.

If someone doesn't like what we are doing then they can leave. They can
always go back to COM. Domain re-naming isn't nearly as bad as an IP re-number.
Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:rmeyer@mhsc.com>rmeyer@mhsc.com
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/
SecureMail from MHSC.NET is coming soon!