Re: Tired of Waiting

"Christopher Ambler" <cambler@iodesign.com> Thu, 16 July 1998 18:50 UTC

Delivery-Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 15:01:27 -0400
From: Christopher Ambler <cambler@iodesign.com>
To: perry@piermont.com, "Richard J. Sexton" <richard@sexton.com>
Cc: List@giaw.org, ietf@ietf.org, discussion-draft@giaw.org, domain-policy@open-rsc.org
Subject: Re: Tired of Waiting
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 11:12:00 -0700

>> Why doesnt CORE just use IOD instead of emergent?
>
>IOD didn't bid on the contract. Emergent bid on the contract.

Exactly. CORE is using Emergent. IOD is using IOD, the company
chose to do it themselves.

>The central locking database maintained by CORE is just that -- a
>database. It is not a business. It isn't set up to take payments, make
>payments, handle incoming orders, handle phone support or phone calls,
>or any of the other things that would make it a business. It is just
>an organization that maintains an Oracle database in a closet. The
>registrars are not "middle men". They are doing virtually all of the
>actual work.
>
>The only thing the CORE database does is make sure that they don't
>step on each other's feet and provide a central source for the DNS
>information to be generated from.

A fine system, to be sure. For that matter, if, as expected, the mandate
is that registries and registrars must separate themselves, it's
entirely logical that IOD would remove the registrar functions and
become, strictly, a registry. At that point, the $35 fee could very well
drop dramatically.

Right now, IOD is set up as registry AND registrar. Some work has been
done, I'm told, to get those ready to be separated if need be.

This is one of a few reasons why the previous price comparison was
somewhat presumptive.

--
Christopher Ambler, Personal Opinion Only