RE: [pilc] tcppep

"Lakshmi Priya" <lakshmips@future.futsoft.com> Thu, 04 March 2004 04:52 UTC

From: Lakshmi Priya <lakshmips@future.futsoft.com>
To: pilc@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [pilc] tcppep
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 10:14:45 +0530
Sender: pilc-admin@ietf.org

Thanks John,
  Yes, in either case end to end semantics would be lost. Because, though we
encapsulate the
headers, they would need to be modified at the TCP session on the other end
of satlink,to suit its tcp window, options etc.
May be we can do away with the overhead of constructing new headers in this
case.

But I think it is mandatory to pass at least the host IP address information
(source) for end to end semantics.
Or do some implemetations just pass the payload? Anything else mandatorily
required?

But again the following doubts do remain.

1. Wouldnt it be complicated to manupulate the send buffers on PEP nodes,
 as segments(since we retain the IP, TCP headers of end host for
encapsulating).
 Its no longer as simple as handling buffers as byte stream from
application.
Packets need to be sent as whole segments to other end of satlink.

2. The entire TCP stack has to be traversed at the PEP nodes, for flow and
congestion control, for both terrestial and satlink causing performance
overhead.Can this be avoided?

Any clarification would be helpful.

lp