[pim] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-pim-igmp-mld-snooping-yang-17: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 09 July 2020 15:02 UTC

From: Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: "The IESG" <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-pim-igmp-mld-snooping-yang@ietf.org, pim-chairs@ietf.org, pim@ietf.org, Stig Venaas <stig@venaas.com>, aretana.ietf@gmail.com, stig@venaas.com
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2020 08:02:54 -0700
Subject: [pim] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-pim-igmp-mld-snooping-yang-17: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

draft-ietf-pim-igmp-mld-snooping-yang-17: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pim-igmp-mld-snooping-yang/

DISCUSS:

Let's discuss whether we need to be a bit more clear about what behavior should be expected
when the exclude-lite leaf has value true vs. false -- the apparent inconsistency between "exclude"
in the leaf name and the positive verb "track" in the description left me confused.

COMMENT:

Is a gauge type better than an int for the various 'count' fields?

Do we want to put in explicit "discontinuity-time" elements for when the
counters last reset?  (I see at least one "up-time" leaf but it's not
entirely clear that the semantics match up.)

Section 3.2

    The mld-snooping-instance is the same as IGMP snooping except changing
    IPv4 addresses to IPv6 addresses. One mld-snooping-instance could be

The diff also shows some mechanical changes, like replacing
"igmp-version" with "mld-version", and the name of statistics leafs that
are tied to protocol version/elements.  There doesn't seem to be a clear
need to call out every such difference, though.

Section 4

  feature exclude-lite {
    description
      "Support configuration of per instance exclude-lite.";
    reference
      "RFC 5790";

RFC 5790 does not use the keyword "EXCLUDE-lite" (or actually, "lite" at
all), so a little bit more description of which functionality this
refers to could be helpful.

    leaf-list bridge-mrouter-interface {
      when 'derived-from-or-self(../scenario,"ims:bridge")';
      type if:interface-ref;
      config false;
      description
        "The mrouter interface in BRIDGE forwarding. When switch
         receives IGMP/MLD queries from multicast router on an
         interface, this interface will become mrouter interface
         for IGMP/MLD snooping.";

nit: the grammar in this description should be revisited; maybe just
missing articles.  Similarly for the next few entries.

          leaf last-reporter {
            type inet:ipv4-address;
            description
              "Address of the last host which has sent report
               to join the multicast group.";

I guess I'm not entirely sure what this is used for; it doesn't seem
like it would provide a way to reliably get a stream of all hosts that
sent a report to join (the "list host" with feature explicit-tracking
would be needed for that, right?), and could be stale at any time, but
I'm probably just missing something.
(Similarly for the MLD case.)

      container interfaces {
         config false;

         description
           "Interfaces associated with the IGMP snooping instance";

         list interface {
           key "name";

           description
             "Interfaces associated with the IGMP snooping instance";

Should we consider non-verbatim-equivalent descriptions for the
container and the list?  (Likewise for MLD.)

Section 5

It's probably worth a brief note in the "readable data nodes" section
about any privacy considerations of exposing multicast group membership
(e.g., if IP addresses are associated with users, and multicast groups
associated with certain types of content, then there is transitively an
association between the user and the content, which could be privacy
sensitive).

Section 7.1

It's not entirely clear that RFC 8407 needs to be normative.

It is, however, pretty clear that RFC 8652 does not need to be
normative, since we reference it basically to say "we don't need to pull
this in".

Section 7.2

RFC 6636 is referenced from the YANG module; doesn't that make it
normative?

Appendix A

[Just noting that I did not carefully review the examples.]