[pim] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-pim-reserved-bits-03

Peter Yee via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 04 September 2019 06:36 UTC

From: Peter Yee via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: gen-art@ietf.org
Cc: ietf@ietf.org, pim@ietf.org, draft-ietf-pim-reserved-bits.all@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2019 23:36:27 -0700
Subject: [pim] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-pim-reserved-bits-03

Reviewer: Peter Yee
Review result: Ready with Issues

by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

<https://trac.ietf.org/trac/gen/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Document: draft-ietf-pim-reserved-bits-03
Reviewer: Peter Yee
Review Date: 2019-09-03
IETF LC End Date: 2019-09-03
IESG Telechat date: Not scheduled for a telechat

and adds subtypes in order to extend the type space to allow for future usage.
The expansion seems straightforward and reasonable.  [Ready with Issues.]

Major issues: None

Minor issues:

Page 6, Table 1: I'm not a fan of this table format.  It overloads the Name
column header to describe both the Type and the Flag Bits.  Perhaps something
that looks like (use a fixed-width font to view this properly):

    Type       Flag Bits   Name    Flag Bits Desc.        Reference
     0                     Hello                       [RFC3973][RFC7761]
                 0-7               Reserved
    10                     DF Election                 [RFC5015]
                 0-3               Reserved
                 4-7               Subtype

It's a suggestion.  I just don't find the overloaded column header and repeated
data particularly appealing.  It took me a few seconds to figure out what was
being done here.  As it is, Name isn't a terribly good way of describing the
meaning of the Flag Bits.  Just a suggestion.

Nits/editorial comments:

General:

On all pages except the first, in the page header: change "Extention" to
"Extension".

Page 1, Abstract, 2nd and 3rd paragraphs: change all uses of RFCxxxx to RFC
xxxx.  The space-less form is only used for references within square brackets.

Specific:

Page 1, Abstract, 1st paragraph, 3rd sentence: change "per message" to
"per-message".

Page 3, Section 4, 1st paragraph, 3rd sentence: delete the comma.

Page 3, Section 4, 2nd paragraph, 1st sentence: append a comma after "Bits".
Change "well defined" to "well-defined".

Page 4, Section 5, 1st sentence: change "pim" to "PIM".

Page 5, Figure 3 caption: You've used "sub-type", "SubType", "Subtype" (from
the revised IANA registry in Table 1) and here "Sub-Types".  I'd suggest
choosing one form and using it more consistently.  Given the spacing
requirements of the diagram, a hyphenated form would probably not be the
optimal choice.