Re: [pim] draft-ietf-pim-bsr-mib-05.txt [was: RE: [MIB-DOCTORS] FW: PRELIMINARY Agenda and Package for May 8, 2008 Telechat]

"Bert Wijnen - IETF" <bertietf@bwijnen.net> Wed, 07 May 2008 15:09 UTC

From: Bert Wijnen - IETF <bertietf@bwijnen.net>
To: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>, David Ward <dward@cisco.com>, bharat_joshi@infosys.com, rainab@gmail.com
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 13:14:55 +0200
Cc: MIB Doctors <mib-doctors@ietf.org>, pim@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [pim] draft-ietf-pim-bsr-mib-05.txt [was: RE: [MIB-DOCTORS] FW: PRELIMINARY Agenda and Package for May 8, 2008 Telechat]
Sender: pim-bounces@ietf.org

The errors are shwon indeed when I use STRICT checking with SMICng.
As I stated, I can live with it.
But (as per the rfc4181 quoted text below), it would be good to
make it clear in the DESCRIPTION clause that zero is indeed
a valid value for the index. That was/is not clear to me from
the text in the DESCRIPTION clauses. For example

   pimBsrElectedBSRZoneIndex OBJECT-TYPE
       SYNTAX     InetZoneIndex
       MAX-ACCESS not-accessible
       STATUS     current
       DESCRIPTION
               "The zone index uniquely identifies the zone on a
               device to which this Elected BSR is attached. There
               is one entry for each zone in ipMcastZoneTable.
               Scope-level information for this zone can be extracted
               from ipMcastZoneTable in IP MCAST MIB."

It speaks about the "index uniquely identifies".
It referes to the IP MCAST MIB module.
In there I see a lot of places where it states:
            listener address applies only within the given zone.  Zone
            index zero is not valid in this table."

And also, when used as an index there, it DOES exclude zero:

   ipMcastZoneIndex OBJECT-TYPE
       SYNTAX     InetZoneIndex (1..4294967295)

So... If zero is value in the BSR MIB, then fine, but I would like to see
that made explicit, so that everyone is sure that it did not happen by
accident.

The DESCRIPTION clause of InetZoneIndex states:

         The zone index may contain the special value 0, which refers
         to the default zone.  The default zone may be used in cases
         where the valid zone index is not known (e.g., when a
         management application has to write a link-local IPv6
         address without knowing the interface index value).  The
         default zone SHOULD NOT be used as an easy way out in
         cases where the zone index for a non-global IPv6 address
         is known."

So a zero valeu can mean "default zone" meaning that it is not known.
So is it a valid value?

THe

Bert Wijnen