Re: Inverse queries on EID; autoconfiguration

William Allen Simpson <bill.simpson@um.cc.umich.edu> Wed, 28 July 1993 01:54 UTC

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1993 17:45:20 -0400
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: William Allen Simpson <bill.simpson@um.cc.umich.edu>
To: wollman@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu
Subject: Re: Inverse queries on EID; autoconfiguration

> I think the answer is that it wouldn't work.  Furthermore, I don't see
> that Paul's stated concerns about the effect of organizational EIDs on
> autoconfiguration are really borne out by reality.  Here's my model of
> autoconfiguration, which is a bit different from Paul's...

This is nearly the same model as I used for SIP self-configuration.
Glad you like it.

One small difference is that I allow either saving the DNS name, or
using an IEEE-802 or E.164 number (or any strictly *locally* significant
number) to do an initial query of the DNS server for the domain name,
and then proceed.

> Note in particular step (1).  All hosts have DNS names.  In my
> experience, DNS names are more static than 802 numbers, and it's a lot
> easier to assign a DNS name than it is to figure out an 802 number and
> record it in some database somewhere.  (Usually you have to get the
> host working before you can figure out what its 802 number(s) is/are.)

Yes, I agree.  But we have to have a way of migrating from BOOTP, so we
need to do it both ways.

This is something that both SIP and PIP need to do, that is relatively
independent of the header formats.  Couldn't we work together on this?

Bill.Simpson@um.cc.umich.edu