RE: Logotypes in certificates

Stefan Santesson <stefan@accurata.se> Mon, 19 March 2001 05:08 UTC

Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 06:06:49 +0100
To: Trevor Freeman <trevorf@Exchange.Microsoft.com>, David Cross <dcross@microsoft.com>, ietf-pkix@imc.org
From: Stefan Santesson <stefan@accurata.se>
Subject: RE: Logotypes in certificates

Hi Trevor,

Thank you for this challenging question. This is a hard one and I will try
to answer.

I think we are into the hen and egg problem.
I see at least 3 big reasons why most users don't know what a certificate is.
- PKI hasn't yet reached into the bedroom of normal users.
- Applications doesn't encourage users to se the certificate content and;
- If they do, there isn't so much interesting to see anyway because the
display interface is normally not very user friendly.

I simply ask you to look beyond the horizon and try to grasp a glimpse of
the future.

In a mature PKI, when a human user receives a signed message, the
applications will probably provide the user with a simple button to view
signature details.

What is then interesting here?
- Signature algorithm ?
- Key length ?
- Or maybe just WHO SIGNED THIS and
- DO I TRUST THIS SIGNATURE?!

If the user has just a minor curiosity about who signed this, and who
stands behind the identification of this person, what better then to
display the signers certificate.

But I challenge you to display this in a interesting and meaningful way to
the user if you cut of the possibility to tie logotypes to the process.

If you denies this option you are STUCK with a pure text interface, and
that won't do. Not if this is to grow out of the technical community.

At least this is what I see and the response I get from many people I talk
to, among them initiated peoples related to European electronic signature
legislation and standardization.

/Stefan