Re: [pkix] Clarification on "zero" hash value in SigPolicyHash (CAdES)

Niklas Matthies <pkix@nmhq.net> Wed, 25 September 2019 22:07 UTC

Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 00:07:06 +0200
From: Niklas Matthies <pkix@nmhq.net>
To: pkix@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [pkix] Clarification on "zero" hash value in SigPolicyHash (CAdES)

Coming back to this topic...

To summarize, I believe it's fairly clear now that option 3 was the
intended interpretation, despite being poorly communicated by the
wording in the standard. I've also now come to strongly favor option 3
due to its aim of maximizing compatibility with prior implementations
that know nothing about zero-hash values and expect a real hash value
to be present in accordance with earlier versions of the standard.

In particular, existing implementations that only check for the hash
length, possibly as part of their format checks, or that implicitly
rely on the hash value having the correct length without checking it,
would remain unaffected, and in the worst case would merely report a
policy hash mismatch -- as opposed to a format error, or possibly a
crash if the implementation blindly reads n bytes based on the
algorithm identifier value.

In the meantime, there's the additional compatibility consideration
that signatures generated by implementations that have correctly
adopted the interpretation of option 3 should be honored. On the other
hand, the wording in the standard is sufficiently unclear that some
implementers have interpreted it differently than intended, and thus
signatures have been produced and are "in the wild" with zero hashes
of different length.

In the light of that situation, I would propose the following approach
for a future revision of the standard:

1. Signature validation applications SHALL interpret a zero hash value
of any length (including zero-length) as an unknown/unspecified hash
value.

2. Signature creation applications outputting a zero hash SHOULD
generate it with a length consistent with the algorithm identifier,
but MAY generate it with any length (including zero-length).

The first point ensures that existing signatures created under either
interpretation remain valid. The second point maintains the originally
intended interpretation (option 3) as the recommended form of a zero
hash, while allowing other forms in accordance with the first point.

Signature creators are then still free to use e.g. an empty OCTET
STRING if they care less about interoperability with legacy
implementations and more about the following objection.

Regarding the objection that a real hash value may happen to be
all-bits-zero and would be incorrectly interpreted as an unknown hash
value: While such an occurrence cannot be ruled out, it is exceedingly
unlikely. In probabilistic terms, a bit flip due to cosmic radiation
or other soft error is vastly more likely. It's hard to conceive how
an attacker could exploit that possibility, assuming strong hash
algorithms. I simply don't think it is an issue.

As a side note: I wonder why the authors of V1.7.3 didn't just
introduce a new algorithm OID defined to indicate an unknown hash
value. (It could even formally be defined to denote the trivial hash
algorithm that maps all inputs to the same empty value.) Possibly
there were concerns that existing implementations might somehow fail
badly due to the unknown algorithm. Or maybe setting the hash value to
zero just seemed the simpler solution overall.

Anyway, please feel free to relay my thoughts to the ESI group.

Niklas