RE: OCSP Algorithm Agility

"Seth Hitchings" <shitchings@corestreet.com> Wed, 10 October 2007 20:26 UTC

Subject: RE: OCSP Algorithm Agility
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 15:25:47 -0400
From: Seth Hitchings <shitchings@corestreet.com>
To: Santosh Chokhani <chokhani@orionsec.com>, "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker@verisign.com>, ietf-pkix@imc.org
Sender: owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org

I'm generally in favor of simpler approaches, such as those suggested by
Santosh, as they favor interoperability. Updating deployed applications to
understand new elements of the protocol could take just as long to roll out
as the new algorithm support that's purportedly lacking.

I can see a situation in which the CA cannot assume that the entire user
population understands a new algorithm such as SHA-256, and thus has to
continue using SHA-1 with RSA when signing certificates. Individual clients
that do understand SHA-256 may wish to receive OCSP responses signed using
SHA-256 with RSA, and would need a way to signal their desires to the OCSP
responder.

The question is, then, is there any security benefit to having the signature
algorithm on the OCSP response stronger than the signature algorithm on the
certificate? If you can break the algorithm and cause me to accept a
contrived OCSP response, could you not do the same thing with a certificate?

Seth