Re: [pkix] Managing Long-Lived CA certs

"Dr. Pala" <director@openca.org> Wed, 19 July 2017 17:33 UTC

To: pkix@ietf.org
From: "Dr. Pala" <director@openca.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 19:33:37 +0200
Subject: Re: [pkix] Managing Long-Lived CA certs

Hi all,

I just want to point out that the extension that is mentioned is NOT the
same as I wanted try to propose (if this is highly controversial, it can
just be an informational RFC). The only correct answer to my question
actually is: nothing like that exists, something similar was deprecated
in RFC5280 but it is still used in other environments.

What follows is a bit of summary of (a) what I see happening in the real
world, and (b) my PERSONAL point of view about the real situation where
we are heading today.

As Erik pointed out, my quick and short proposal is an attempt to
address some shortcomings that I see happening especially in the IoT /
Device world where expertise around certificates and PKIs is just not there.

More and more people that do not really understand the way PKIs SHOULD
work in order to really address the threats related to Key Management
propose the use of weak infrastructure just because (a) there is no
active work aimed at solving issues that exists and (b) go for a quick
solution that provides, in many cases, really just a fuzzy feeling
rather than solid architectures.

An example of this is the trend that has been growing a lot at IETF with
the insanity about short-lived certificates (different working groups
have no other choices but use what other WG did without realizing how
weak those solutions are). I can not find any proposals in the recent
times that does not say "let's use short-lived certificates": did we all
became great at protecting secrets ? do we all use HW protected keys ?

In my experience I have seen (positively) increasing the use of crypto
and keys with a decreasing understanding about the risks and less
options when it comes to recover from broken trust.

Also, the same people that argue for short-lived certificates often pick
that option because of the (proven wrong over and over again)
willingness to mix AuthN and AuthZ - most of the times not even
understanding that that is what the authors are doing!

PKIX has a long history about trying to separate the two concepts (i.e.,
using tokens for authorization like attribute certificates). Delegation,
especially when it is a self-delegation, was solved with the
introduction of proxy certificates.

I also would like to point out the inability (or, actually more
accurately the un-willingness - especially from former ADs) to take on
important work and new proposals that address efficient revocation
handling and discoverability of PK-related services (hack, we still not
have a distributed support system for Public Key operations deployed or
even envisioned in 2017! That is simply CRAZY to me!).

We are still stuck with CRLs most of the times, OCSP if we are lucky,
and in most cases even these mechanisms are criticized widely by people
at the meetings without really understanding that Internet PKI and PKIs
(as pointed out) are not the same thing. Even in the Internet PKIs,
applications like browsers do not properly check revocation claiming
that few milliseconds of delay (well, they could just check it in
parallel and just block further operations in case revocation is
detected or, as they do for content, they could simply pre-fetch the
information for usually visited resources).

Wrongly designed PKIs (or Weak PKIs) are being deployed today and
expected to run for 30yrs when the algorithms that are supported (mainly
in HW) are NOT going to pass the test of time - not on that scale, not
for millions of people, not with devices that might handle our private
data. This will affect our homes and the quality of Internet connections
(degrading the user experience and creating huge issues for the
operators in the future).

Why are we so unprepared to face these issues ? I would say (still
personal point of view - based on almost 20 yrs of participation in the
PKI discussions):

  * *There are NO venues where to discuss possible solutions to existing
    problems.* The PKIX working group has been closed down (very
    arbitrarily, I might say) and now expertise about the nuances of
    understanding and running PKIs is mostly lost or very difficult to
    chase.

  * *The LAMPS WG has, on purpose, a very limited Charter and only few
    items* (mostly quite marginal, I would say) are actually accepted as
    working items. Solving revocation should be the 1st item and the
    most important on the list... but it is not - actually when I
    proposed, it was not even acknowledged.

  * *The constant**nonsense of people saying that PKIs do not work as an
    excuse not to improve them while they are the reason we can deploy
    and manage security and provide privacy. *Eroding all the good work
    done in the past just because people do not understand the
    importance of providing BETTER support for Trust Management rather
    than a QUICK solution (e.g., short-lived certificates, mix of
    authorization and authentication, forgetting the existence of RFCs
    that already provide more secure solutions than the ones that are
    re-invented, today, over and over again).

Things are happening in other environments and lacking the support from
IETF is really scary. The world moves forward and the IETF is standing
still on this topic. I really do not understand why.

For example: what is more important, fixing internationalization for
e-mail addresses or allowing the checking of revocation information in
such a way that we can restrict the use of short-lived certificates only
when STRICTLY necessary ?

Well.. things to consider.

I tried many times to push the issue without success... politics is the
enemy of the right thing to do... and today we are just dealing with
politicians when it comes to PKIs...

Just my 2 cents.. but I would be interested in your opinions too...

Cheers,
Max