Re: [pkix] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-pkix-rfc2560bis-15

Sean Turner <turners@ieca.com> Tue, 09 April 2013 02:59 UTC

Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 22:59:27 -0400
From: Sean Turner <turners@ieca.com>
To: Piyush Jain <piyush@ditenity.com>
Cc: ambarish@gmail.com, slava.galperin@gmail.com, cadams@eecs.uottawa.ca, 'Stefan Santesson' <stefan@aaa-sec.com>, "'Black, David'" <david.black@emc.com>, sts@aaa-sec.com, pkix@ietf.org, gen-art@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [pkix] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-pkix-rfc2560bis-15

On 4/8/13 5:59 PM, Piyush Jain wrote:
> Sean,
>
> Thanks for your comments.
> There are two points that I would like to cover separately. The first point
> is a response to your comments below. The second point is a broader
> objection to revoked for issued.
>
> 1) The text says - The "revoked" status is still optional in this context in
> order to maintain backwards compatibility with deployments of RFC 2560.
> This implies that making "revoked" status REQUIRED will break
> interoperability between newer and older implementations. This is INCORRECT.
>
>> Using the word "compliance" might set of an entirely new debate.
>> Servers/clients can claim compliance if they want to but I'm not sure that
> the
>> primary goal was for a document to claim compliance with another set of
>> RFCs.
>> These drafts for interoperability and that would lead me to
>> compatibility and not conformance.
> That is fair. I was just pointing at the intent of the author. If you make
> "revoked" status REQUIRED it does not break compatibility of newer
> implementations with older implementations, however it does break
> conformance of older implementations with RFC 5019 and 2560.
>
> 2) Returning revoked for non-issued adds confusion without addressing any
> real problem. "Allowing CAs to return revoked for non-issued" is a goal that
> is vague and meaningless, given that CAs indicate issuance by signing the
> certificate in question with their private key. If you question this basic
> premise of x.509 that issuance is determined by signature, you should
> question the signature on signed response as well. Who is to say that the
> responder certificate that was used to sign a good response was issued by
> the CA?
>
> Henry nicely articulated the whole issue with this draft in his post
> (attached). I second his view on not moving this draft forward.

I went back and looked at the WG poll about this issue that you and lot
of other people participated in
(https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/pkix/current/msg31906.html).  The
WG's rough consensus was to allow "revoked" to be used for non-issued
certificates with the caveat thrown in by Paul Hoffman that the meaning
of "revoked" be clear about what it now means.  I've not seen anything
that would make me want to throw this draft back to the WG to revisit
that consensus.

spt