RE: OCSP Algorithm Agility

"Andrews, Rick" <RAndrews@verisign.com> Fri, 21 September 2007 02:21 UTC

Subject: RE: OCSP Algorithm Agility
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 18:28:58 -0700
From: "Andrews, Rick" <RAndrews@verisign.com>
To: Santosh Chokhani <chokhani@orionsec.com>, pkix <ietf-pkix@imc.org>
Sender: owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org

Santosh,

I don't think that's realistic in the mass market. Let's say a major
financial institution wants to buy a SHA-256 cert from us because
they're concerned about SHA-1 weaknesses. Their clients might be
ordinary users with ordinary browsers on ordinary OSes, who will then
need to rely on the SHA-256 cert (and therefore need SHA-256 to check
the signature on the FI's cert as well as the signature on the OCSP
responder's cert). The financial institution has no way to force these
clients to upgrade to SHA-256. Even if clients really want to rely on
the cert they have to wait until their browser vendor or their OS vendor
build in SHA-256 support.

Even if we created separate CAs to sign SHA-1 certs and SHA-256 certs,
the situation would not be improved for the end client.

The alternative is for the FI to set up two parallel web sites, once
with a SHA-1 cert and one with a SHA-256 cert, and somehow direct
clients to the appropriate site. I doubt anyone would want to do this.

-Rick Andrews