Re: [pkix] Clarification on OCSP with nonce

"Dr. Pala" <madwolf@openca.org> Mon, 19 March 2018 16:50 UTC

To: pkix@ietf.org
From: "Dr. Pala" <madwolf@openca.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 16:49:56 +0000
Subject: Re: [pkix] Clarification on OCSP with nonce

Hi Koichi,

unfortunately the current status of OCSP responders is not the greatest
- for most CAs in the "browsers" ecosystem, responses are pre-calculated
and delivered via CDNs. Thus, the NONCE can not be added to responses.

We are currently working with different partners (some public CAs and
other entities) on proposing an updated version the OCSP specs (think of
it as OCSPv2) that address the current limitations of the protocol (we
need this in many ecosystems where millions of devices are deployed) by
lowering the number of signatures required from an OCSP responder - this
would also help in producing shorter-lived responses thus increasing the
security of the system (e.g., instead of the validity being 3 to 7 days,

Since there is no venue at the IETF to propose this work, we are
currently working with other standardization groups that are willing to
address this issue :D

In case you are interested in participating, please let me know, we are
very open to collaboration :D

Cheers,
Max