Re: [pkix] Requesting information on Time stamp authority certificate expiry.

Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com> Sat, 06 January 2018 02:22 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: 'Anoop Gulati' <anoopgulati@gmail.com>, <pkix@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2018 18:21:54 -0800
Subject: Re: [pkix] Requesting information on Time stamp authority certificate expiry.

While one can interpret a timestamp as extending the life of a signed object, that is not the technical definition of a timestamp.

A timestamp says “I successfully validated the signature on this object at time X”.  One can chain timestamps together so that a second timestamp could be made on the first one which allows one to do a chain of inference.

Code signing generates a problem because there is no opportunity to apply a new timestamp and re-distribute the result which is what should happen.  Therefore, a hard coded public key is used which is “known” to be good past the certificate expiration date.  God help us if the key is ever compromised.  Additionally, problems are going to occur over time with the hash algorithm being declared as not longer usable for the counter signature.

The correct rule ought to be, when the TSA certificate expires the signature expires and it no longer tells you anything more.  If there is a chain one may be able to infer things, but changes in algorithms can kill you.   You can look at the work of the LTANS WG for some back ground (RFC 4998 and RFC 5698 are good starters).