Re: [pkix] Validating Certs w/out reliable source of Time

Denis <denis.ietf@free.fr> Mon, 08 October 2018 15:06 UTC

To: pkix@ietf.org
From: Denis <denis.ietf@free.fr>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2018 17:06:15 +0200
Subject: Re: [pkix] Validating Certs w/out reliable source of Time

Hi Max,

You wrote:

    the problem is that without a reliable (or trusted) source of Time
    information, devices can not really validate certificates
    (i.e., is the certificate even valid... ? is it expired ? is the
    revocation info fresh enough ?) and my question for the list is
    about best practices in the space.

If your PKI includes an OCSP responder, then you can get the UTC time
rather easily. You use a nonce as defined in section 4.4.1 from RFC 6960
in an OCSP request.
The field producedAt (section 2.4) of the response gives you the time at
which the OCSP responder signed this response. This works if your IoT
element has an internal timer.

Denis

PS. I just realized that Tom Ritter provided you with roughly the same
answer. Since my email was ready, I send it to you anyway.