RE: OCSP Algorithm Agility

"Santosh Chokhani" <chokhani@orionsec.com> Fri, 21 September 2007 01:42 UTC

Subject: RE: OCSP Algorithm Agility
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 17:39:57 -0700
From: Santosh Chokhani <chokhani@orionsec.com>
To: "Andrews, Rick" <RAndrews@verisign.com>, pkix <ietf-pkix@imc.org>
Sender: owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org

Rick,

Let us say that CA X starts issuing SHa-256 certificates.  Clients that
rely on that CA, will need to upgrade to SHA-256.  The CA can start
signing the CRLs using SHA-256.  The OCSP Responder R can take its cue
from the CRL and sign those responses with SHA-256.

Now, if the same OCSP Responder R also serves CA Y who is still using
SHA-1.  Again, taking the cue from CRL, the same Responder R can sign
the responses using SHA-1.

Next, you might argue that VeriSign has a large set of disjoint
customers using the same CA.  I, do not think it is a big deal to have
two physically or logically distinct CAs one for SHA-256 population and
one for SHA-1 population.