Re: [pkix] Optimizing OCSP - Time for some spec work ?

Denis <denis.ietf@free.fr> Thu, 24 October 2019 15:19 UTC

To: pkix@ietf.org
From: Denis <denis.ietf@free.fr>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 17:19:31 +0200
Subject: Re: [pkix] Optimizing OCSP - Time for some spec work ?

Hello Max,

What you are proposing is not an optimization of OCSP but something
different, so please don't call it "optimizing OCSP".

    "Optimizing for the common case (non-revoked certificate)" by
    pre-computing responses has implications about the timeliness of the
    revocation date and time.
    As Kurt just mentioned, I don't see either how this can work given
    the fact that certificate serial numbers should be random.

    "Providing Full chain responses" seems to be close to RFC 5055:
    Server-Based Certificate Validation Protocol (SCVP).
    When you take a look at the complexity of this protocol, the key
    question that comes to my mind is what kind of
    differences/simplifications you would be expecting.

As you know, the best way to continue the discussion would be to propose
a title, an introduction and possibly an overview.
RFC 5055 (as well as OCSP) would need to be positioned in the Introduction.

Denis