RE: specific policies used in conjunction with anyPolicy

"Trevor Freeman" <trevorf@Exchange.Microsoft.com> Sat, 24 March 2001 23:59 UTC

Subject: RE: specific policies used in conjunction with anyPolicy
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 15:48:00 -0800
From: Trevor Freeman <trevorf@Exchange.Microsoft.com>
To: "David A. Cooper" <david.cooper@nist.gov>
Cc: ietf-pkix@imc.org

David,
Any CA will have to be fully aware of its actions relating to supporting
its client base. Just because it maybe aware of an extensions existence,
does not mean its clients are ware of it. That has nothing to do with
the issue here. Is there any benefit from an explicitly defined policy
over the use of the all policy OID. A parent CA may restrict the range
of policies it is prepared to except from a subordinate using the
all-policy OID, but is there any benefit in wanting that policy explicit
marked. Without some more concrete justification, then the case seems
week, and does not justify the increased complexity we are inheriting.
It is think kind of "feature creep" that will the undoing of this group.
Trevor