Re: [pkix] Private key usage period extension

"Erik Andersen" <era@x500.eu> Fri, 06 May 2016 12:25 UTC

From: Erik Andersen <era@x500.eu>
To: Directory list <x500standard@freelists.org>, PKIX <pkix@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2016 14:25:32 +0200
Subject: Re: [pkix] Private key usage period extension

OK, it is being used. I have seen no reason so far that the private key use period starts before and/or ends after the certificates validity period.

If I get a message together with a certificate and the message is signed after the certificate validity period, but before the notAfter for the private key usage period, what do I do? Consider the certificate invalid and discard the message or do I validate the signature with the public key I am not supposed to use anymore.

It is of no help to me that there may be another certificates with the same key pair, where the certificate validity period is different. I might not know those certificates.

Regards,

Erik