Re: [pkix] Managing Long-Lived CA certs

Denis <denis.ietf@free.fr> Wed, 19 July 2017 20:30 UTC

To: pkix@ietf.org
From: Denis <denis.ietf@free.fr>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 22:30:30 +0200
Subject: Re: [pkix] Managing Long-Lived CA certs

Max,

Just my 1 cent ... since you said you would be interested to hear opinions.

PKI is still very useful and used for servers, but it is no more
adequate to be used for user authentication over the net.

Initially, privacy was not considered, but now it is. Using PKC for
users or clients allows to link user accounts between servers
whereas it is not the case with FIDO which has been built using "privacy
by design" principles. What we need today for human users
is no more only security but *both privacy and security* (where privacy
comes first).

Coming back to your original proposal, I quote your text below:

    What I am thinking about would be adding an extension that says:
    "This CA can issue certificates from up to 5 years from the validFrom,
    after this, just use it to provide revocation information". This
    might provide some protection in case the CA key is compromised after
    the initial 5 years of validity (e.g., certificates issued after
    that date shall be rejected).

The way you present the case violates one the fundamentals of PKI: A
certificate contains necessarily a validity period defined by:

Validity ::= SEQUENCE {
notBeforeTime,
notAfterTime }

A CA is not required to handle revocation, once the certificate has expired.

However, before that sentence you wrote:

    Until we have a supported mechanism for reprovisioning devices
    (...), one possible solution for limiting the exposure of the
    private key
    would be to have a scoped certificate issuance period.

Hence you have identified the solution: work on a mechanism for
reprovisioning devices.

RFC 2510 that was issued in the last century (March 1999) contains a
description on how to perform a root key change.
See  section "2.4 Root CA key update". This might possibly help to solve
your problem.

This is just my 1 cent.

Denis