Re: New Liaison Statement, "Liaison to IETF on the resolution of DR320"

Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com> Fri, 05 October 2007 14:58 UTC

Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 10:10:31 -0400
To: ietf-pkix@imc.org
From: Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>
Subject: Re: New Liaison Statement, "Liaison to IETF on the resolution of DR320"
Sender: owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org

It seems to me that this is a trust anchor configuration concern.  If
two CAs adopt the same name and a user accepts both of these CAs as
trust anchors, then there could be a problem.  Just don't do it.

RFC 3280bis says:

    While X.509 mandates that names be unambiguous, there is a risk that
    two unrelated authorities will issue certificates and/or CRLs under
    the same issuer name.  As a means of reducing problems and security
    issues related to issuer name collisions, CA and CRL issuer names
    SHOULD be formed in a way that reduces the likelihood of name
    collisions.  Implementers should take into account the possible
    existence of multiple unrelated CAs and CRL issuers with the same
    name.  At a minimum, implementations validating CRLs MUST ensure that
    the certification path of a certificate and the CRL issuer
    certification path used to validate the certificate terminate at the
    same trust anchor.

Russ