RE: Long Name Requirements

Ersin Gülaçtı <ersin.gulacti@kamusm.gov.tr> Tue, 24 February 2009 08:58 UTC

From: Ersin Gülaçtı <ersin.gulacti@kamusm.gov.tr>
To: ietf-pkix@imc.org
Subject: RE: Long Name Requirements
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 10:35:46 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org

First, I like to clarify some points. What I am trying is to put a legal
person's name (i.e Company Title) in the Subject field of the certificate
(CN=ACME Company ...). The company will be the owner of the certificate.
Since company names are longer than 64 characters in nature, I have to
devise a solution for creating standards compatible certificates.

I have reviewed the discussions between the PKIX and ITU on upper bounds. I
wish and hope that RFC 5280 bis will follow X.509's lead on handling longer
names. In practice our CA software and verification API had strict
enforcement of the 64 characters based on RFC 3280, 4 years ago. At that
time we encountered some root certificates that had longer CN and OU
components than 64 characters. To make our API compatible with those
certificates we relaxed our upper bounds limit to 128 characters for the
decoding of certificates. Our CA software still creates certificates
according to the 64 characters upper bound limitation. I think it would be
better to modify our CA software and create certificates with no upper bound
limits on name structures.