Re: [pkix] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC5280 (5802)

Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com> Tue, 06 August 2019 22:57 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: mrex@sap.com, 'Russ Housley' <housley@vigilsec.com>
CC: "'Roman D. Danyliw'" <rdd@cert.org>, 'Ben Kaduk' <kaduk@mit.edu>, 'IETF PKIX' <pkix@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2019 15:57:27 -0700
Subject: Re: [pkix] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC5280 (5802)

-----Original Message-----
From: pkix <pkix-bounces@ietf.org> On Behalf Of Martin Rex
Sent: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 2:22 PM
To: Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>
Cc: Roman D. Danyliw <rdd@cert.org>; Ben Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>; IETF PKIX
<pkix@ietf.org>

Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com> wrote:
> At the time that these values were assigned, TLS was primarily a
> protocol for WWW security.  It has since been used in may other
> environments.  I do not see how a change to the comment in the
> ASN.1 definition will make any real difference, but I do not really
> have an objection.
>
> I suggest that this be marked as "Hold for Document Update"

The applicable **STANDARDS** in this area would be
rfc5246 (TLSv1.2) and rfc2818 (HTTP over TLS), and both are
**SILENT** on EKU.

What openssl does is a non-standard, implementation-defined behaviour, and I
consider it a particularly bad idea trying to rewrite history by filing this
as an errata !

I've also seen a public CA (Entrust) issue a TLS server certificate which
asserted id-kp-serverAuth, but was lacking id-kp-clientAuth.
I consider such a certificate a stupid clerical error by Entrust.

[JLS]  I would consider this to be correct behavior.  My reading is that
id-kp-clientAuth is going to be in the client certificate that is being used
to authenticate to the server.  No a statement that the server wants or can
do client auth.

Whether TLS client software is willing to use such a certificate as TLS
client certificate, and whether TLS server software is willing to accept
such a TLS server certificate as TLS client certificate turns out to be
*VERY* implementation-specific.

If changing the limited-applicability comment in rfc5280 for
id-kp-serverAuth and id-kp-clientAuth at all, then it should also include
which **application**standards**, if any, gives any meaning to these EKUs,
and where application standards have *NOT* been giving any meaning all the
time, the behaviour is implementation-defined at best.

[JLS]  I have no opinion on this one way or the other

Jim

-Martin