Re: New Liaison Statement, "Liaison to IETF on the resolution of DR320"

"Denis Pinkas" <denis.pinkas@bull.net> Mon, 22 October 2007 14:41 UTC

Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 15:37:09 +0200
From: Denis Pinkas <denis.pinkas@bull.net>
To: "ietf-pkix@imc.org" <ietf-pkix@imc.org>
Subject: Re: New Liaison Statement, "Liaison to IETF on the resolution of DR320"
Sender: owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org

Santosh,

>We have been down this route before.

>See my presentation to PKIX in Fall 2004 IETF meeting in Washington DC.

> My understanding from 2004 presentation was that Russ Housley proposed instead of
> ensuring certificate certification path and CRL certification path matching,

Unless the client software knows by "other means" what to do, this is the default way
to make the whole system secure.

> we make sure that we ensure that the paths begin at the same trust anchor.

This helps, but it is fra from sufficient.

> It was felt by the group (not I) that coupled with name constraints in cross certified
> environment is sufficient to mitigate the risk to an acceptably low level.

Reducing the risk does not suppress it.

> Of course, my argument always has been that using the certificate
> certification path to constrain the CRL certification path provides you both with security and
> efficiency, something you do not always get.

"Constraining" does not mean "identical". Would you be more precise ?

> The primary reason to not adopt my suggestion is that it requires change to client software.

Since most of the clients are insecure today in case of a DN name collision, it is time to fix it.

>Also see our paper in NIST PKI Research Workshop in 2005 for a discussion of this.

Would you have a link ?

Denis

Regards,

Denis Pinkas