Re: [pkix] A non-compliant use of the EKU extension in Mozilla's CA Certificate Policy Version 2.1.

Stefan Santesson <stefan@aaa-sec.com> Wed, 20 February 2013 15:46 UTC

Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 16:46:20 +0100
From: Stefan Santesson <stefan@aaa-sec.com>
To: Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com>, Denis Pinkas <denis.pinkas@bull.net>, pkix <pkix@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [pkix] A non-compliant use of the EKU extension in Mozilla's CA Certificate Policy Version 2.1.

Steve,

I don't make any statement in the context of right and wrong.

I'm merely exploring the facts of the case.

Another fact of the case is that implementers priority often put customer
demands and what works first.
This is done as far as possible by following standards, but if necessary,
by stretching them and if necessary by breaking them.

What can make those organisations change attitude is, I'm afraid, not a
yard stick held up by a standards body.

The present case is as far as I can see a complete deadlock.
Nor ITU/ISO nor PKIX can change the meaning of EKU, neither can
implementers do what they feel they need to do without breaking/stretching
the standard.

/Stefan