RE: Online Certificate Revocation Protocol

"Scherling, Mark" <mscherling@rsasecurity.com> Tue, 12 June 2001 17:26 UTC

From: "Scherling, Mark" <mscherling@rsasecurity.com>
To: 'Carlin Covey' <ccovey@cylink.com>, Paul Gogarty <p.gogarty@mail.com>, Lynn.Wheeler@firstdata.com, "Scherling, Mark" <mscherling@rsasecurity.com>
Cc: Ietf-Pkix <ietf-pkix@imc.org>
Subject: RE: Online Certificate Revocation Protocol
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:33:26 -0700
Sender: owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org

The problem is that today we have no way of determining what "hold" means.
We can suspend a certificate which means it's not available, but my
preference is to revoke a certificate if the private key is in an unknown
state, that is we think it was destroyed but there is no way of determining
if that is absolutely true.

If you look at a lot of the cyber-thefts, a large percentage was with
insider knowledge.  It would be easy to say my key has been destroyed and
then use my key for access to something after I left the organization.  You
would have proof that the key was destroyed (I signed a piece of paper
saying so, with date and time, witnessed by my VP, etc.) yet the key was
used to gain access after the date and time.  It's not a matter of trust,
but a matter of risk management.  If my key was unknowingly compromised and
then destroyed, the key is still valid unless we revoke the key.  It is far
safer than assuming that the key was destroyed.

In the case of a CA key, I would rather revoke all keys and re-issue than
take the risk that the CA key was destroyed and no other copies exist.

So we want to restrict the ability to use the key even if it has been
destroyed because we cannot with absolution determine that the key was
destroyed and no copies exist.  In many Subscriber Agreements and
Certificate Policies, it states that the Subscriber may back up their keys
using proper safeguards as long as they are the only ones with access.  In
the event that someone leaves a company and their private key was destroyed
prior to them leaving, the back up key may be in a sealed envelope with the
passphrase at their desk or in their filing cabinet.  I know that most of us
would never do this sort of thing but many people do.   So now you are left
with a key that has not been revoked and is still active.  Would we all not
consider this a security risk?

The bottom line is that if a private key is in an unknown state, the CA
should revoke the key.